We are proud to be independent funeral directors based in Montrose, Scotland. At a time when many funeral homes are being sold to large shareholder driven corporations, we remain proudly a Scottish independently owned and operated funeral home.

Email: James Collier (j_collier@hotmail.co.uk)
Registered Office: Emslie Collier Funeral Directors, Broomfield Road, Montrose, DD10 8SZ
Registration Number: 02511598

Here for you and your family when you need us. So contact us now and let us take care of all your needs.

Funeral Checklist

This is a simple step by step checklist which you may find useful as a reminder of what needs to be done after someone has died. Some of the arrangements will need to be done by the executor or administrator of the estate and others can be done by family or friends.

Please remember that this information is just a guide, and not all of the details will apply in every case. Please call us to discuss your individual circumstances, to find any telephone numbers you need or if you have any questions.

To help you when filling out forms and writing letters, it may be useful to make a list of some of important reference numbers and information, such as the deceased's date and place of birth and marriage, National Insurance number and tax reference numbers.

Funeral Checklist

A Checklist Of Things To Do After A Funeral

To help you, we have offered a simple checklist to guide you through the process. Before you start, it is very useful to have the following information to hand about the person who has died. This will make the task of completing any forms or documents much easier.


-:- National Insurance number.
-:- NHS number.
-:- Date of marriage or civil partnership (if appropriate).
-:- Child Benefit number.
-:- Tax reference number.

Government Organisations

-:- The relevant Tax Office.
-:- National Insurance Contributions Office if they were self-employed (to cancel payments).
-:- Child Benefit Office (at latest within eight weeks).
-:- Land & Property Services if they paid rates or were in receipt of Housing Benefit/Rate Relief.
-:- UK Identity and Passport Service, to return and cancel a passport.
-:- DVLA, to return any driving licence, cancel car tax or return car registration documents/change ownership.

Other Useful Contacts

-:- Bereavement Register and Deceased Preference Service to remove the deceased's name from mailing lists and databases.
-:- Clubs, trade unions, associations with seasonal membership for cancellation and refunds.
-:- Utility church/regular place of worship.
-:- Social groups to which the deceased belonged.
-:- Dentist.
-:- Creditors - anyone to whom the deceased owed money.
-:- Debtors - anyone who owed the deceased money.

If There Is A Will

-:- Contact the executor if this isn't you (usually nominated in the will to sort out the deceased's affairs) to enable them to start the process of obtaining probate.

What To Do In The First Five Days

-:- Notify the family doctor.
-:- Register the death at the relevant Registrar's Office, except where the death has been referred to the Procurator Fiscal.
-:- Find the will - the deceased person's solicitor may have a copy if you can't find one.
-:- Begin funeral arrangements - you will need to check the will for any special requests.
-:- If relevant, a completed Form should be sent to the local Jobs Center regarding the deceased's benefits (given to you when you register the death; read the reverse to see if it applies).
-:- If the person who has died was receiving any benefits or tax credits you can contact HMRC.

Financial Organisations

-:- General insurance companies - for example, contents, car, travel or medical.
-:- Any other company with which the deceased may have had rental, hire purchase or loan agreements.
-:- If the deceased was the first named on an insurance policy, make contact as early as possible to check that you are still insured.
-:- Pension providers/life insurance companies.
-:- Banks and building societies.
-:- Mortgage provider.
-:- Hire purchase or loan companies.
-:- Credit card providers/store cards.

If There Is No Will

-:- Decide who will apply to sort out the deceased's affairs.
-:- Contact the Probate Registry to apply for 'letters of administration'.

Who Else To Contact

As well as informing people who are close to the person, in many cases you'll need to close down accounts, or cancel or change insurance details, subscriptions, agreements, payments or direct debits.

Here's a list to help you keep track; just cross through the ones that don't apply:

-:- Relatives and friends.
-:- Employer.
-:- School.
-:- Begin funeral arrangements - you will need to check the will for any special requests.
-:- Solicitor/accountant.

Utilities And Households

-:- Landlord or local authority if they rented a property.
-:- Any private organisation/agency providing home help.
-:- Utility companies if accounts were in the deceased's name.
-:- Royal Mail, if mail needs re-directing.
-:- TV/internet companies with which the deceased had subscriptions.

Everyone deals with bereavement in their own way. If you or someone you know needs counselling or support, ask your family doctor or contact an organisation, such as Cruse Bereavement Care. Its aim is to promote the well-being of bereaved people and provides counselling and support. It also offers information, advice, education and training services.

These Organisations Regulate How Member Companies Operate Their Businesses Via Their Respective Codes Of Practice.
The National Society of Allied And Independent Funeral Directors
Golden Charter Funeral Plan
National Association Of Funeral Directors
Robertson Memorials